Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Seeking advice on attending a University for the first time.?

In four weeks I shall be attending the University of Wisconsin. I have never attended a college before. I am 52 yrs. old. I am handicapped. I am a recovering alcoholic %26amp; drug addict. I have been homeless 4 times in my life. The last time (Jan. 05) I received frostbite, which turned to gangrene. As a result of this I had 1/2 of my right leg and 1/3 of my left foot amputated.


I would truly like to help other people with alcohol %26amp; drugs problems. Only I realize that college is all about freedom %26amp; parties for the young people. I feel safe that I will remain substance free, but how should I convey to my fellow students the fact that I simply do not wish to party. I would much rather share what can happen if your partying gets out of hand. Any advice would be appreciated.Seeking advice on attending a University for the first time.?
I don't think you'll have to worry about it, because chances are you won't get asked to the parties. College students tend to hang with other people their age and they'll probably assume that you have better things to do and don't want to hang out with a bunch of kids. If they do ask, just tell them that you have other plans, but after the party ask them how it was and maybe you can work in some of your advice that way.Seeking advice on attending a University for the first time.?
Actually, the people you'll get to know best probably will be older than the just-out-of-highschool, party crowd, so shouldn't be a problem. There are lots of older people going back to school these days.





Good luck.
At 52, you aren't going to have to worry about this. You won't be asked.





I speak from experience -- I was 43 when I went back to graduate school.





If you are asked, you can simply say ';Thank you for asking, but I don't drink'; or ';thank you for asking but I can't make it.';





College is a great experience -- I hope you enjoy it. Don't be too quick to judge the young -- most of them are there to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment