Friday, January 8, 2010

Seeking advice about lens to take on vacation to Nova Scotia?

I have two lenses for my camera, an 18 - 50 mm and a 50 - 200 mm. Space constraints and age limited agility dictate I take only one of these lenses to scenic Nova Scotia. Do you have any recommendations? Also, do you recommend I get a skylight filter for the lens I'm taking?Seeking advice about lens to take on vacation to Nova Scotia?
As one of the fellow said, you should really bring both lenses with you, but if you have to make a sophie's choice, I would go with 50-200mm.





I know most ppl believe that wide angle lenses are for landscapes, but from my experiance, I usually pop on my 300mm when Im at a wide open space, cause there will always somethng in the landscape that catches your attention, whether you realize it or not, you will want to capture that soemthing and its surroundings, and if you use a wide angle lens, that something will come out so small that you will be greatly dissapointed in your photograph and you probly don't know why.





Its all based on what you want to capture, the landscape or the people.Seeking advice about lens to take on vacation to Nova Scotia?
Since I don't know what brand of camera you are taking, I can only surmise. If it is digital, it will probably be 1.6 or 1.5 in a 35mm format which would mean that the lens would be somewhere around 28mm-75mm. In 35mm photography, you can have a grand vacation with a 28-75, 35-70, or lenses in that grouping, so if I had to leave one of them at home, I would leave the 50-200mm.
There is NO way I would leave either one behind, if necessary, I'd wear the wide angle around my neck! I can not imagine that you couldn't find space for just two lenses !!!!!!!





However, if you absolutely insist on leaving one behind, then I'd bring the wide one, for sure.





Getting a circular polarizer (rather than the UV filter) would help you get the most of out blue sky, fluffy clouds and it cuts down on unwanted reflections (but read up on how to use one of them, there is a trick to it).
it really depends on what type of photos you will take and your artistic bent when taking them. I would find a way to bring both.

No comments:

Post a Comment