Monday, December 28, 2009

Do you think it's foolish to seek medical advice here?

I recently answered a medical question about bleeding pregnancy by saying ';People who seek medical advice on line are idiots.'; I got yelled at by Yahoo. OUCHIE. But seriously, if you have a serious medical condition and you ask people here what to do, arent you an idiot? And shouldnt Yahoo have a disclaimer that tells you that in such situations advice here should not be a substitute for medical attention?Do you think it's foolish to seek medical advice here?
I'm a recent (very recent) medical grad. I don't want to get yelled at by Yahoo. I don't want to get yelled at by anyone, frankly.





But -- a lot of the stuff I read on here is scary, which is one reason I answer stuff on here, because sometimes, people really, really need to go seek help away from their computers. Which may be, I think, why they put their questions on the computer in the first place -- to get validation that it is a reasonable question, and that they really do have a valid concern.





But honestly, sometimes I wonder -- I haven't seen ';I'm having chest pain and I'm sweating, and it really hurts, and AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!';.... yet.





But it has come close. :)


JulieDo you think it's foolish to seek medical advice here?
people are gonna do what they wanna do so let them
As a psychologist, I always respond to psych questions with my opinion, plus advice to see a professional for further consultation and assessment. This is because it is impossible and unethical to diagnose someone over the internet.


I think that YA should post a disclaimer. However, I also believe that for some people, talking about their problems anonymously is much easier than in a live setting. In addition, I think that all health professionals who answer questions in YA should tell people to seek information from their own doctors.


While YA is for entertainment purposes only, the internet is very useful for medical information... and advice, under strict limitations. I'm referring to sites and boards such as WebMD and others. People should be encouraged to take a proactive role and seek out info and advice about their medical problems... and if YA is the best they can do, then hopefully those of us dispensing advice can do our best to respond, AND refer them to appropriate professionals.
There are some professionals here in YA that volunteer their time to help people who seek help.





It is not that the person posting is going to take information and follow it to the letter. If that were the case then there would be only 1 answer allowed per question.





For myself, I do seek medical attention from doctors and support systems. But apparently you have never needed any input from people who have ';been there, done that';. That is a good thing because it is not easy to find the answers you seek. You call out to a community with many people in the same situation either now or in the past. I take all the answers I get to my questions seriously.





Some one may say this and it is good, 4 posts later there is more information that is good, but slightly different (different avenue I can research). I can only speak for myself. But YA's MH Community has given to me nothing but care, welcoming warmth, support, guidance, and a place in my heart that they will always be with me.





People in this world need to start thinking before they speak and look at all the different options 1 situation may have, but not one persons answers hold every option to your question. That is why it is a community and not private one on one sessions.





Be Safe %26amp; Be Well
You got yelled at because you called someone an idiot. There need not be any disclaimer, because this method of information gathering is no different that walking down the street and asking strangers what they think...it goes without say that the answers you get might not be correct ones.
No i don't. I think people feel more comfortable telling their medical problems here because it's not like they would feel embarassed for telling their problems to people they'll probably never meet. Some people also don't know how to deal with their problem so this is a great place to find out.
I don't think people consider this a substitute for medical attention, however, this is a great tool for getting second opinions, looking for people to relate to and learn new home remedies. It is obvious no one would honestly ask an emergency medical question, here. Thanks.
RELY ON Y/A ???---I'D PREFERR TO OBTAIN A CORRECT ANSWER FROM MY PERSONAL M.D. !!!
If you're the sort of attorney who calls people who are troubled 'idiots', then heaven help the people who come to you for help. No, people who ask for help about serious medical conditions on here aren't idiots. They are desperate. They want some reassurance and/or to be pointed in the right direction. Of course, responsible responders who understand what the questioner is describing will point out that they need to see a doctor. This is surely a better route than the person sitting alone at home thinking they 'shouldn't disturb the doctor' or 'I'm making a fuss about nothing' or whatever. I think Yahoo Answers can perform a really useful function in such situations.





If anyone thinks that the answers on here are necessarily definitive (whether it's about how to clean windows or what to do about high blood pressure) then they have misunderstood the whole setup. And I don't think anyone has - they know they can both ask and answer questions themselves. And any disclaimer would have to apply to the whole of Yahoo Answers, not just the explicitly health-related bit.
I really would not personally concern myself with that. Sometimes people are looking for a quick input or advice from others. There is nothing wrong with that. Common sense ought to take over in the long run and that person will need to make wise decisions. When a person posts a question it is to the general public. We have opinions that is all..... and or advice. True or untrue, it is up to the person to take responsibility in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment