Monday, December 28, 2009

Tips on breaking in a new baseball glove, It is important to seek out the best advice on this for me.?

I've heard everything from dunking it in water to shaving cream, I am looking for some old school advice.Tips on breaking in a new baseball glove, It is important to seek out the best advice on this for me.?
I would play catch as often as I can and break the glove in that way. Of course, keep a ball in the palm, or web of the glove and put the glove between the box spring and mattress of your bed when you are not playing catch. Accept the fact, that if you want to do it old school, and your glove is made of quality leather, it will take weeks, and maybe months to be broken in the way you want it to be. On the positive side, that quality glove should last at least a few years and be exactly what you want it to be. Tips on breaking in a new baseball glove, It is important to seek out the best advice on this for me.?
I once witnessed a catcher's mitt broken in in about 48 hours. The guy put two baseballs in it, put rubber bands around it enclosing the balls, and held it under water for a few minutes. He then hung it over a sink all night to drip dry. The next morning, he repeated the dunking. and hung it to dry again. That evening he took the bands off and the balls out and hung it to dry overnight. The next morning he rubbed copious amounts of a lanolin based shaving cream all over the leather, making sure to get everything covered, even inside. That afternoon, he rubbed some more shaving cream into the palm and pocket of the mitt and took it to practice. I loved the way it popped!!





I have used a foam I purchased at Academy Sports on my son's glove before. You rub it into the leather of a new (or older glove too) and then put the glove in a warm oven (the foam is designed for this). One application worked pretty well.
A cheap and very effective solution is rubber bands. Simply put a baseball in a normal mit or two in a 1B/OF glove, apply many rubber bands, and let it sit for a few days. Within 2 days, you will notice the leather loosening. Play catch. I got a new glove about 2 months ago. I put rubber bands on it for 5 days, and did my regular pitching workouts and it was game ready a month from the day I received it. Oils work, but I wouldn't risk shaving cream, water, or even the oils. If you want to send it off, there are pros that use special oils and techniques, but it takes about 2 months. It's excellent, but about $100 with shipping expenses where rubber bands are 5$ at wal-mart.
What worked really well for me and my Wilson Elite softball glove was Easton Glove Oil. Comes in a little white plastic bottle (about 5 oz I think). Sometime while you're watching TV or whatever, just massage the oil into every bit of leather you can get to on the outside of the glove. Stick a ball in the pocket and let it sit for about 24 hours. You can repeat the process to try to soften it more, I think I did my glove 3 times. I would not recommend using anything else (like shaving cream) because it'll make the leather smelly or greasy. The Easton Glove Oil is absorbed and doesn't cause a smell or greasiness. It does make the colour a little bit darker, but this'll fade as you further break in the glove.





And of course, besides the oil, playing catch is an excellent way to break it in. Also, in a game, while you're on the bench or on defense between plays, you should have your glove on and be massaging the leather to soften it up. You often see big leaguers ';spit and rub';, which I think is kind of gross.





Most importantly: whenever you're not wearing the glove, ALWAYS keep a ball in the pocket to maintain proper shape. Even during games, if I'm not wearing my glove I'll stick a ball in it or stand it on finger-tips. This keeps it from getting that ';folded in half'; form.





Hope this helps.





- R.
The way I broke in my glove (Old School way) was to buy glove oil. Wipe it in the webbing %26amp; the pocket of the glove (the middle of the glove). Then get a softball (put it in the webbing) %26amp; a baseball (put it in the pocket. Then tie string around the glove tight then stick underneath the leg of your bed or underneath a pile of big heavy books. for about 3 days then put more glove oil on it then go have a catch.





Good luck.
i wouldnt listen to what answers you are going to get like putting it in a microwave, shaving cream, oils. just squeeze it a lot and play good old fashion catch with it. i just bought my first very expensive glove this year and i was too afraid to put any kind of oil on it.
Put some oil or grease on it. Then put it in the oven for a while. Then when you take it out, get a softball, put it in the glove. Put a rubber band around it to secure it. Then put the glove under your bed for a week. After a week play catch and your glove will be ready to play with.
Play catch alot, sit on it, put it under your matress, put a ball in it and put tape or string around your glove, use glove softener.





Breaking In Your Glove - http://www.baseballgloves.com/breakingin鈥?/a>
umm im not sure what it is called but there is some stuff that you can buy that you put on the glove and then you bake it. it works really well.
put a baseball in the glove and put a rubber band around the glove to hold it tight






when i got my new mitt the only thing that helped was playing catch everyday for a half hour to an hour, it was good in about a week (:
The last one i got i just played with it a lot and worked with the leather


it takes time
  • lip care
  • wedding make up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment